It’s a sad fact that many Catholics in the world today grew up with very poor catechesis and even now don’t understand or couldn’t explain some of the more basic questions of the Faith. Add on to that the fact that the media constantly misrepresents and distorts the actual teachings of the Church and the end result is a world full of people (Catholics and non-Catholics alike) who either don’t know the Catholic faith or think they do when they really don’t. Whether it’s the “hot-button” issues of the day or some basic elements of Christian belief, we would all do well to spend a little more time becoming informed with the actual Catholic answers to the questions we have.
I’ll do my best to provide a variety of resources below that should provide strong, succinct, and sound Catholic answers to any questions you may have. As one who left the Catholic Church precisely because I thought her teachings were too “old school” (only to eventually find intelligent, relevant, and authentically Catholic answers to all my doubts/questions), it’s my hope and prayer that these resources bless you in your search for the Truth.
- Aggie Catholics – Over 250 questions and answers on morality, abortion, dating, sexuality, the Church, Mass, the Sacraments, the Bible, the afterlife, the saints, ecumenism, Vatican II, Lent, human nature, social justice, prayer, etc.
- Catholic Answers – The name says it all! Search by topic, read the blog, browse magazine articles, check out “Quick Questions“, look at different tracts, explore full documents, or ask your own questions in the forums. A one-stop shop for any and all Catholic questions you may have.
- Catholic Education Resource Center – Thousands of articles on faith, culture, and the most misrepresented teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Chastity Project – Hundreds of Catholic answers to questions regarding the following topics: Dating, How Far is Too Far?, Pornography, Homosexuality, Birth Control, STDs, Starting Over, How to Stay Pure, and Vocations.
- PeterKreeft.com – Kreeft may very well be my favorite Catholic author and speaker. He’s blunt, to the point, and always insightful. He writes and speaks about anything and everything. Check out his Featured Writing and More Featured Writing.
- Catholic Answers – By far the BEST Catholic radio program out there. Browse shows from the past, subscribe to receive each podcasted episode for free, or listen live and call in with your own questions! This is a great way to learn more about your faith while on the go (I’ve personally listened to probably 300 or more episodes via my iPod while driving to and from work). Do yourself a favor and check this out!
- Fr. Barron Homilies – Homilies with extra substance and insight from a brilliant yet completely down to earth Catholic priest. Go right to the iTunes page to sample these and/or subscribe to them or learn more about Fr. Barron here.
- Fr. Mike Schmitz Homilies – Homilies that’ll rock your socks. Seriously. Go right to the iTunes page to sample these and/or subscribe to them. More info on Fr. Mike (Who is this guy? What else does he have to offer? Etc.) can be seen here.
- PeterKreeft.com – Kreeft may very well be my favorite Catholic author and speaker. He’s blunt, to the point, and always insightful. He writes and speaks about anything and everything. Check out his Featured Audio and Featured Audio – More (free!).
- Catholic Answers – Relatively pithy answers to all kinds of questions in video format.
- Fr. Barron – YouTube commentaries about anything and everything (from popular movies and books to atheism and back!). His videos have been watched over 3 million times (and counting!).
- Minnesota for Marriage – In the fall of 2012 the state of Minnesota voted on protecting the definition of marriage to be between 1 man and 1 woman. The organization Minnesota for Marriage produced 46 videos answering some of the most commonly asked questions surrounding the issue of redefining marriage.
- *The Catechism of the Catholic Church (book, free online version) – Straight from the Church’s mouth (can’t get much better than that!).
- Absolute Relativism by Chris Stefanick – A 59 page pocketbook guide to what Pope Benedict XVI said was one of the most significant problems in the world today.
- Did Adam and Eve Have Belly Buttons? and Did Jesus Have a Last Name? – 200 Questions per book about anything and everything Catholic.
- Handbook of Catholic Apologetics: Reasoned Answers to Questions of Faith by Peter Kreeft and Ron Tacelli – Gigantic questions with top-notch answers and explanations. One of the most impressive books I’ve ever read!
- If You Really Loved Me by Jason Evert – 100 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity.
- Prayer for Beginners by Peter Kreeft – A short and easy read packed with loads of wisdom.
- You Can Understand the Bible: A Practical and Illuminating Guide to Each Book in the Bible by Peter Kreeft – An impressive look at every book of the Bible that will certainly teach you a ton without overwhelming you.