Fr. Mike Schmitz
Father Mike Schmitz is a priest for the Diocese of Duluth, MN. He currently runs the Newman Center at the University of Minnesota-Duluth and is also the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry for the diocese. Known nationally for his inspiring homilies, consistent hilarity, and genuine coolness, Father Mike is quickly becoming a Catholic household name in America.
Lucky for me, my wife grew up in the same town as Father Mike (Brainerd, MN) and has been friends of his and his family ever since she was a wee little one. We were privileged to have Father Mike celebrate our wedding Mass (see homily below!) and we continue to enjoy catching up with him whenever he’s in the Brainerd area and not already scheduled to hang out with his 8 million other friends (he seriously probably knows that many people – by name!).
Please do yourself a favor and take a looksie below at some of the awesome Jesusy goodness that Father Mike has to offer. And, because he’d probably want me to say this, do him a favor and throw a prayer or two his way when you get the chance!
FATHER MIKE HOMILIES – On iTunes!
This is one of the best kept secrets of the 21st century (yes, I just said that): Since 2007 Father Mike has been posting homilies of his that I guarantee will rock your socks. If you’ve ever wished to hear a better homily while at Mass, well, here you go. 174 homilies and counting… all free and for the taking. Please, do yourself a gigantic favor right now and subscribe to Father Mike’s homilies. Seriously. I triple-dog dare ya.
- Father Mike Schmitz iTunes page (web link)
- Father Mike Schmitz Homilies (web link)
- How to download Father Mike homilies (video web link)
- A Sampling of Father Mike Homily Reviews (PDF)
My wedding homily:
ASK FATHER MIKE
Father Mike is a frequent columnist for the Diocese of Duluth’s newspaper, The Northern Cross. He’s written dozens of articles answering questions sent his way. Check ‘em out here or browse below!
- Who does it hurt?
- Receiving the Eucharist
- Distractions in prayer
- Married without children
- Is Christmas a pagan holiday?
- Do I have to raise my kids in the Catholic faith?
- Why don’t Catholics eat meat during Lent?
- Will there be animals in Heaven?
- Why do Catholics venerate the body of dead saints?
- Do we need Confession?
- God a “He”?
- Remorse vs. repentance
- Do not judge?
- Formula prayers give us words when we need them
- Old Testament laws
- Discerning your vocation
- Defining homosexuality
- Where to draw the line in the media
- Keeping holy the Sabbath day
- Is Heaven really “Heaven” if even one person is not there?
- Do I have faith?
- Mean God?
- The Shack
- Conservative Catholic?
- The precepts of the Church
- The Church and suicide
- The “One, True Church”?
- Choosing God, not blaming Him
- Centering Prayer
- Going deeper in prayer
- What to do when prayer feels more like work
- The need for purgatory
- Tattoos and Christians
- Can a Christian fight in war?
- Pro-choice Catholic?
- Can we get married outside?
- “God made me this way”
- American Catholic
- “I Believe…”
- Why don’t same-sex couples have a right to marry?
- Same-Sex Marriage Laws force the Church to ‘Fuss’
- What’s the problem with contraception?
- How is Natural Family Planning different from contraception?
- “Love your enemies and pray for those who hate you…”
- OLG Shoutout
- Phil 4:13 Inspiration
- They’re Playing My Song
- Disney World
- Word Became Flesh
- Chinese Punk Rock
- Transformation – Loon
- Theology of the Body 1
- Theology of the Body 2
- What is a Vocation?
- How to Discern
- Homily at Steubenville
- Be Not Afraid
- Theology of the Body talk
- Chosen – Confirmation Video by Ascension Press
- Saturday Homily, Steubenville 2013
- I Love You, Too
- The Truth
FATHER MIKE PICS